Business Survey on Recruitment 27
Survey of business leaders on employment prospects for graduates & school leavers, published 27 August 2009
A ComRes poll of business leaders, published today, reveals deep discontent with the quality of school leavers and, to a lesser extent, of new graduates.
The survey also highlights the difficulties likely to be faced by school leavers and graduates in finding work in the current financial climate.
· "In general the quality of school leavers available to recruit is acceptably high" - agree 37%, disagree 63%
· "In general the quality of new graduates available to recruit is acceptable high" - agree 57%, disagree 43%
· "Staff turnover is lower (in the current jobs market) as people don't change jobs so frequently" - agree 84%, disagree 16%
Q. Will your company be recruiting more, fewer or about the same number of graduates and school leavers as usual this year?
· Graduates - more 14%, fewer 20%, same 18%, don't usually recruit 49%
· School leavers - more 6%, fewer 16%, same 9%, don't usually recruit 69%.
Andrew Hawkins, CEO of ComRes commented: "School leavers face the double-whammy of a much tighter jobs market and the widespread perception among employers that they are ill-equipped for the world of work. This year looks set to be an extremely tough one for school leavers".